In-home technology is going way beyond our wildest imaginations.
If they’re not yet available for homes, many of the latest emerging technologies are already being used in some capacity and will likely make their way into homes in no time at all.
These 5 emerging, high-tech innovations will get you excited about what the future holds for your home.
- Light-Up Flooring and Furniture. LED-enabled carpets that light up when you walk on them is a concept that seems better suited for a sci-fi movie, but don’t be surprised if this technology becomes available for the home in not too much time. Intended for use in hotels and other public buildings, light-transmissive flooring could add an exciting new concept to your interior design and space.
- Gesture Control. For anyone who has ever dreamed of having a super power, you can now get pretty close. PointGrab has developed PointSwitch technology, which allows you to control everything from your lamp to your television just by pointing your finger. How does it work? It creates a transparent, touch-friendly space in front of you at a distance. With this technology in your home, all you’ll have to do it point and your home will respond.
- Conversing With Your Appliances. Thanks to LG’s Home Chat messaging service, which it is integrating into its new crop of connected smart home appliances, you can have a text message chat with your fridge, your robotic vacuum or your washing machine. Start a load of laundry remotely, or ask your vacuum when it last cleaned your home.
- Fingerprint Security. We’ve written about Bluetooth-enabled smart locks [add hyperlink to Bluetooth article], but fingerprint readers go one step further. These are currently available for the home, and are frequently used in corporate settings as fingerprint locks guarantee restricted access. If you use one in your home, say goodbye to your keys and door locks, and never worry again about keeping children out of a wine cellar or other restricted space.
- Smart Windows. This technology is a great solution to managing the rising costs of heating and lighting your home. Smart Glass turns from translucent to opaque with the touch of a button or turn of a switch, and therefore also eliminates the need for window shades and curtains. There are several technologies that can be used in smart window application, but the bottom line is these windows are up and coming and could really make your home work for you.
These emerging and innovative technologies being developed are very exciting, and offer almost endless possibilities for the home.
One breakthrough technology you can enjoy right away is the ClearView Audio Clio – an invisible speaker that produces rich, room-filling sound without compromising the aesthetic of your interior décor.